- The coyote is a member of the dog family.
- In size and shape the coyote is like a medium-sized Collie dog, but
its tail is round and bushy and is carried straight out below the level
of its back.
- Coyotes found in low deserts and valleys weigh about 20 pounds, less
than half of their mountain kin, who can weigh up to 50 pounds. Desert
Coyotes are light gray or tan with a black tip on the tail.
- Coyotes of high elevations have fur that is darker, thicker and longer;
the under parts are nearly white, with some specimens having a white
tip on the tail. In winter the coats of mountain coyotes become long
and silky and trappers hunt them for their fur.
- The coyote's hearing is very acute and is used for detecting prey
and avoiding danger. Movement and position of the ears are used to communicate
mood and rank.
- The coyote is one of 8 species of the genus Canis. Four of these
are jackals of Europe, Africa & Asia. Other members of the genus
include the Gray Wolf (C. lupus), the Red Wolf (C. rufus) and all the
breeds of the domestic dog (C. familiaris).
- The coyote is one of the few wild animals whose vocalizations are
- The coyote has 5 digits on the forefeet, including the dewclaw (remnants
of a 5th digit) and 4 digits on the hindfeet.
- The coyote is digitigrade meaning it walks with only its toes touching
- One of the most adaptable animals in the world, the coyote can change
its breeding habits, diet and social dynamics to survive in a wide variety
- Alone, in pairs or in packs, coyotes maintain their territories by
marking them with urine.
- They also use calls to defend this territory, as well as for strengthening
social bonds and general communication.
- Coyotes can easily leap an 8 foot fence or wall. They have been spotted
climbing over a 14 foot cyclone fence.
- Only 5-20% of coyote pups survive their first year.
- The coyote can run at almost 40 mph and can get over a 8' fence.
- Coyotes can breed with both domestic dogs and wolves. A dog-coyote
mix is called a "coydog."
- The coyote is more likely afraid of you than vice-versa.