- Cod is a popular food fish with a mild flavor, low fat content, and
a dense white flesh that flakes easily.
- Cod livers are processed to make cod liver oil, an important source
of Vitamin A, Vitamin D and omega-3 fatty acids (EPA and DHA).
- Color ranges from green-grey to red.
- Found from the surface down to 250+ fathoms in cooler water.
- Female cod may lay more than 3 million eggs yearly.
- Codfish eats clams, mussels, crabs, lobsters, sea stars, squid, a
large variety of other fish and more. Basically anything they can, even
rocks and sea birds have been found in cod stomachs!
- About 10% of the world fish catch is cod.
- Codfish live to an average of 15 years.
- You can tell a cod's age from the two white earstones in the skull
(otoliths), which have annual growth rings