- Bees from the same hive visit about 225,000 flowers per day. One
single bee usually visits between 50-1000 flowers a day, but can visit
up to several thousand.
- Queens lay almost 2000 eggs a day at a rate of 5 or 6 a minute. Between
175,000-200,000 eggs are laid per year.
- The average hive temperature is 93.5 degrees.
- Beeswax production in most hives is about 1 1/2% to 2% of the total
- About 8 pounds of honey is eaten by bees to produce 1 pound of beeswax.
- Honeybees are the only insects that produce food for humans.
- Just a single hive contains approximately 40-45,000 bees
- During honey production periods, a bee's life span is about 6 weeks.
- Honeybees visit about 2 million flowers to make one pound of honey.
- A bee travels an average of 1600 round trips in order to produce
one ounce of honey; up to 6 miles per trip.
- To produce 2 pounds of honey, bees travel a distance equal to 4 times
around the earth.
- Bees fly an average of 13-15 mph.
- Bees belong to the third largest insect order which also includes
wasps and ants
- They consist of a pair of compound eyes made up of numerous six-sided
facets (28,000 in some dragonflies, 4,000 in house flies) plus three
- Bees are capable of seeing ultraviolet light, which is invisible
- The bee is capable of navigating, even on a cloudy day, by cloud-penetrating
- Bee pollen is the male seed of a flower blossom which has been gathered
by the bees and to which special elements from the bees has been added